When you hear about quinoa, you wouldn’t naturally think of it as part of parfaits. But try this delicious dish and you will know what we are talking about.
Now quinoas are seeds, contrary to the common notion that they are whole grain. They can be prepared just as how you prepare grains such as barley or rice. But anyway, you can buy packaged quinoas and prepare them just as instructed at the back of its packaging.
You will surely experience the sweet blend of yogurt, cream cheese, honey, berries with nutty twist of quinoa inside your mouth with this recipe.
- 1 cup of assorted berries* (raspberries, blueberries and strawberries)
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- ½ cup of plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup of quinoa, cooked and cooled and prepared according to packaging instructions
- 1 very ripe banana, mashed
- honey (or any sweetener of your choice)
(Note: You can chop the berries in half or quarters if they are large. Set aside additional berries for garnish if you also want.)
- Mix together the cream cheese, yogurt and mashed bananas into a bowl. Use a whisk or hand mixer to incorporate them until they achieve a smooth consistency. You can also put additional sweetener if you want the mixture to be suit your sweet tooth.
- Layer about 2 tablespoons of quinoa at the bottom of jars, bowls, or containers.
- For the next layer, put about a quarter of berries and a quarter of the cheesecake mixture. If you’re making big parfaits, repeat the pattern before topping it with the additional berries (if you deem it necessary).
- You can also chill them first before serving but that’s up to you.