If you love the hint of spice on your dessert, then we highly recommend that you try gingerbread cake. This recipe does not include eggs but still gives off the soft and moist consistency omnipresent on good cakes.
- 2 1/3 cups of all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup + 1 tsp. of milk (at room temperature)
- 1 ½ tsp. of ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp. of ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. of ground cloves
- 1 tsp. of baking soda
- 1-2 tbsp. of fresh ginger, chopped or grated
- ½ cup or 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup of white granulated sugar
- ¾ cup of molasses
- Lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- ¼ tsp. of salt
- To lessen your effort in washing the dishes because of the molasses, grease first your measuring cup with oil or butter before pouring the liquid.
- Preheat the oven at 325°F (= 165°C) for about 10 minutes.
- Grease an 8-inch square pan with butter, oil or nonstick cooking spray.
- Incorporate all the dry ingredients (flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, baking, powder and salt) as well as the chopped ginger and lemon zest into a large bowl. Whisk them well and set them aside for a while.
- Take the butter and sugar into another large bowl. With the use of a spatula, mash and mix them both until it becomes a thick paste. At this juncture, switch to wire whisk them more until you achieve the smooth and fluffy consistency. (Note: If you have a stand or electric mixer, then there’s no need to mash the butter and sugar using a spatula. Just work on them using the mixer straightaway.)
- Add the molasses and beat again until everything is well combined.
- Add the milk (be sure that it’s not hot or cold) and beat the ingredients again.
- Add the dry mixture into the wet mixture and switch to spatula in order not to over-mix the batter.
- Pour into the prepared pan and smoothen out the surface evenly.
- Bake for about 50-55 minutes and use the toothpick test to check if the cake is already cooked. Place into the wire rack and let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes is up, use a butter knife to loosen the sides of the cake from the pan and turn it upside down on the wire rack and let the cake cool down completely.
- Slice the cake and dust it with powdered sugar… it is now ready to be served.
- If you want, you can serve it with a dollop of lemon curd or whipped cream. Enjoy!
Time and Serving
- Preparation : 15 minutes
- Cooking : 55 minutes
- Serving : makes 8-inch square cake (around 7-8 servings)