To those who don’t know, churros means ‘fritter’ in Spanish. That’s the reason why churros, an all-time favorite Spanish snack is actually a pipe of dough that was deep-fried and served usually along with cinnamon-sugar dust as coating. Nowadays, however, churros can also be enjoyed by dipping it in rich melted chocolate. As a matter of fact, churros are very easy to make, provided that you’re not bothered by the cooking oil.
For Making Churros
- ½ cup and 1 ½ tbsp. Granulated Sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1 cup Water
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 2 quarts and 2 tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup All-purpose Flour
For the Chocolate Dip
- 3 ½ ounces Dark Chocolate
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- Make the churros first by combining ½ cup sugar along with cinnamon inside a shallow bowl. Set it aside and line a plate with paper towels. This is where you will put the churros in order to drain excess oil.
- In a small, medium-heated saucepan, whisk water, 1 ½ tablespoons of sugar, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil along with some salt together. Bring the whole mixture to a boil before removing it from heat. Next, stir in the flour and mix it until the whole mixture forms into a ball of dough.
- Transfer the newly-made dough ball inside a cloth pastry bag or a heavy-duty plastic bag fitted with a large star-shaped pastry tip.
- Heat vegetable oil inside a large, heavy-bottomed pan on a medium-high heat. Make sure that there is enough space in the pan so that the churros will not bubble over while you’re deep-frying it.
- Once the oil is hot, pipe some of the dough mixture by squeezing it right into the pan. However, always make sure that you cut the dough when its length reached at least four inches by means of scissors or a knife. Once the churros turn golden-brown, put it in a plate that you lined up with some paper towels and let it drain the excess oil for two minutes. Just repeat the whole process until all of the churros are deep-fried.
- Once drained, roll the cooked churros in the cinnamon-sugar mixture before putting it in a serving plate. You can also serve it along with some chocolate, butterscotch or even raspberry sauce, if you wish.