Want to make something different for your upcoming party? Try to create a watermelon keg for your drinks. It does not only add the charm as your beverage centrepiece but it’s a great conversation starter even for the socially awkward. For a Hawaiian theme masterpiece, add mimosa and other wild—but not poisonous—flowers and fruits.
You will need
- One big watermelon
- drawing compass
- carving knife or sharp knife for carving
- large spoon
- apple corer
- duct tape
- wet paper towel
- First, clean the watermelon with water and pat it dry with clean dry cloth.
- Draw a circle around one end of the watermelon where you’re going to remove the top. You can make use of the drawing compass to make accurate circumference.
- You can explore your creativity for decorating your keg. You can use pencil to make temporary lines and designs.
- Cut off the top of the water melon (where you draw a circle) using a sharp knife.
- Before removing the top, line your newspaper underneath the watermelon. Carefully remove the top and scoop out the flesh with a large spoon. You can put the flesh in a bowl for your punch or whatever drink you want to prepare.
- Scrape the inside of the melon but to do not overly do so.
- Using the wet paper towels, clean the inside surface of the watermelon.
- Get your apple corer and make a hole at the base of your watermelon keg, which is at the opposite part of the removed top. The hole should be 2-3 inches in diameter and place the spigot or faucet to fit. This way, your guests can open the spigot and have their drink.
- Put any beverage you want inside the keg and run a test. If it works, you can immediately proceed to the decoration of your watermelon keg.