Chanukah or Hanukkah is an eight-day festivity that Jewish people celebrate yearly. This also means that you can be treated with this one luscious, kosher treat of Apple Latkes. Now, you don’t have to wait for the annual Chanukah just to have a taste of apple latkes. You can easily prepare this at home and enjoy the uber-healthy dish.
- 3 medium apples, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 ½ cups of milk
- 1 tsp. of baking powder
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Vegetable oil
- Whisk the 2 eggs in one big mixing bowl and add the milk.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and a dash of salt. When you have mixed them thoroughly, add the dry mixture into the wet one.
- Add the coarsely grated apples into the mixture.
- Put the skillet over medium heat and pour the vegetable oil. Using a spoon, put a teaspoonful of batter into the hot oil. Fry until the latke is already light golden brown (usually about 2 minutes). When this is already the coloring, flip over and cook the other side for another 2 minutes.
- Using a spatula, remove the apple latke from the pan and place on top of the paper towel.
- Let the latke cool off a bit as the paper towel also absorbs the oil, so set them aside for a while.
- When it is already okay, sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar. Place creatively onto a plate and drizzle with apple sauce.
Time and Serving
- Preparation : 15 minutes
- Cooking : 35-40 minutes
- Serving : 36 latkes