Tocino is a Philippine-made, cured pork dish that is usually a breakfast favorite. Taken from the shoulder, loin or rear of a pig, tocinofalls under the category of sinful delicacies. It can be purchased from grocery stores or you can make a homemade version of it. Choosing the latter means taking the necessary steps of which we are all too happy to share with you.
- 1 kg. of pork loin, shoulder or rear
- 3 tbsp. of soy sauce
- ½ cup of ordinary vinegar
- ½ – 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. of table salt
- 3 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. food coloring (optional)
- 1/2 cup of pineapple juice (optional)
- Slice the meat, maintaining a quarter of an inch or an eighth (1/8) of an inch if you dare for much thinner cuts. Make sure that bones or bone titbits are completely eliminated for tocino is known for its ready to chew quality
- Make a curing or marinade mixture by incorporating the soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, minced garlic, onion powder, salt and/or food coloring into a large mixing bowl. You can also add half a cup of pineapple juice to add a sharp taste.
- Rub and massage pork with the mixture, and then marinate.
- Refrigerate the marinated pork for about three days for the curing process.
- After the curing period, you can choose between grilling and panfrying the pork. For panfrying, heat up skillet over medium high heat and pour oil. Fry the tocino for about 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Serve tocino with hot white rice which then would be called as arrozblanco con tocino (translated into English, it means ‘white rice with tocino’).
- If you want grilled tocino, then prepare your grill and cook tocino for about 2-3 minutes per side or until you attain your desired effect.
- Set aside the tocino for about 5 minutes before serving.
- You can pair up your tocino with fried eggs and serve with garlic rice. It’s a great breakfast combo meal for an energized morning.
- You can use finely chopped onions if onion powder is not available.
- You can refrigerate the pork for several minutes before cutting. The refrigeration process will render the meat firmer so you can cut it easily.
- Substitute red beet powder instead of food coloring if you want.