Dal Makhani is a popular North Indian dish with creamy and mild spicy taste. To attain the creamy texture, you must use both butter and cream. Thus, the recipe is dubbed mhakani (which means “buttery”). Since the nature of this dish is creamy, it is not to be eaten daily. However, if you want a healthier twist, change the butter into oil and the cream into milk. Just be ready for an altogether alteration of taste.
For Dal Makhani:
- 1 cup of whole Urad dal
- 1 ½ tbsp. of butter
- ¼ cup of heavy whipping cream (or Malai)
- 2 tbsp. of red kidney beans (or Rajma)
- 1 tsp. of cumin seeds
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 slits of green chillies
- ½ tsp. of ginger paste
- ½ tsp. of garlic paste
- 1 ½ cups oftomato puree
- ½ cup of onions, chopped finely
- 1 tsp. of red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp. of turmeric
- 2 ½ cups and ¾ cups of water
- Few sprigs of cilantro
- Wash the urad and rajma under cool running water and don’t stop until both are completely clean.
- When they’re ready, get a basin or bowl and fill it with enough water. Soak the urad and rajma for at least 8 hours or for overnight.
- Next, put the soaked dal in a pressure cooker. Add salt and at least 2 cups of water and turn on the stove into medium heat. After 12 whistles, turn off the heat and let the pressure get out by itself. Open the lid and set aside the dal.
- Put skillet onto a medium flame and melt the butter. Once the butter melts, add the cinnamon sticks and garlic cloves.
- Add the cumin seeds and wait it to sizzle before adding the green chillies, ginger and garlic pastes.
- Sauté the mixture for about 30 seconds and add the onions. Continue to sauté the ingredients until the onions are browned.
- Add the tomato puree, mix and let it simmer for several minutes or until the oil separates from the tomatoes.
- Add the salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder and mix them well together.
- Add the boiled dal into the spicy mixture and pour ¾ cup of water.
- Mix the dal mixture well and let it boil for the next 8-10 minutes.
- Add the whipping cream, mix well and let the dal come into boil. Turn off the stove and scoop to serve.
Time and Serving
- Preparation : 8 hours and 15 minutes
- Cooking : 35 minutes
- Servings : makes 4