Paneer is a fresh, common cheese which is made as a snack in North India. It’s made by incorporating heated cudling milk, vinegar and lemon juice. Now, paneertikka is a snack variety with paneer as the main ingredient. It is made with marinated cubed paneer and veggie cuts skewered together and baked in an oven.
For the marinade:
- 1 cup Yogurt (cuts down into half cup eventually)
- 1 ½ tsp. red chili powder
- ½ tsp.cumin powder
- 1 tsp. of coriander powder
- 1 tsp. of garam masala
- ½ tsp. of fennel powder
- 1 tsp. Chaat masala
- 1 tsp. of Aamchur powder (or mango powder)
- ¼ tsp. of black pepper powder
- 1 tsp. of Kasoorimethi (or dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tsp. of ginger paste
- 1 tsp. of garlic paste
- 1 ½ tsp. of lemon juice
- 200gPaneer, cut into 1” cubes
- ⅓ cup ofGreen bell pepper, cut into 1” bits
- ⅓ cup ofRed bell pepper, cut into 1” 1 inch bits
- ⅓ cupYellow pepper, cut into 1” 1 inch bits
- ½ cupOnion, cut into 1” bits
- ⅓ cup tomato, cut into 1” bits (optional)
- Oil (for brushing tikka)
- Lemon wedges
- Mint chutney or coriander chutney
- Line a muslin cloth in your strainer and drain yogurt. Don’t forget to place the strainer on a bowl or jug to collect the water. Refrigerate the yogurt, letting it drain for at least an hour.
- Get the curd into a bowl and add all the marinade ingredients (as indicated above), and then mix them well.
- Add the paneer cubes and veggie bits then gently mix again with the use of your hand. See to it that every cube and bits are well-coated.
- Marinate inside your refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
- It is best to use metal skewers instead of wooden ones as you won’t need to soak the metal ones in water. However, if it’s inevitable to use wooden skewers, let them soak first for about 30 minutes in water.
- If all’s well, you can assemble the panner and veggie bits in the skewer. Brush the paneer with all, coating all sides.
- Preheat oven into 350⁰F (or about 180⁰C) for about 10 minutes.
- Line your baking tray with aluminum foil and spray with oil or non-stick spray.
- Put the assembled paneer on the tray and bake for about 10-12 minutes.
- Serve the paneertikka with lemon wedges, mint chutney or coriander chutney.
- Serving : 4 servings
- Preparation : 3 hours
- Cooking : 25 minutes