You may find the coloring and consistency of mashed avocado offensive-looking, but the nutrients found within the fruit is fascinating. Did you know that avocados or alligator pears (as what they are called in plain English words) are one of the healthiest foods in the world? It is loaded with fiber, healthy fats, foliate and potassium. It does not contain cholesterol which is harmful for our body.
While we can eat the fruit as it is (which can be a pain on our sensitive taste buds), we can prepare it in several ways. One is to make Indian-style avocado dip that can go along well with homemade crackers or baked chips.
- 1 medium size avocado
- 1 ½ tsp. of lemon juice
- ½ tbsp. of oil
- 1 green chilli, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1/3 cup of onion, chopped finely
- ¼ tsp. of cumin powder
- ¼ tsp. of coriander powder
- ¼ tsp. of garam masala
- a pinch of salt
- Get a knife and cut the avocado in half but avoid cutting the seed along with the flesh.
- Cut the avocado flesh into pieces and spoon them into a bowl.
- Mash it lightly with the use of a fork.
- Add lemon juice and salt and then keep it aside.
- Put pan onto a medium flame and sauté garlic and green chilli for about 1 minute or so.
- Add the chopped onion and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Cook it until it achieved the light coloring and soft.
- Add the spice powders like gram masala coriander powder and cumin powder. Cook the spicy mixture for about a minute until the ingredients are well integrated.
- Add the mixture into the avocado and stir well. Serve the dip with your favorite cracker or chips.
Time and Serving
- Preparation : 10 minutes
- Serving : can yield 2