Onion raita emits the beautiful flavour of roasted onion. With your eyes, you can’t help but to look with longing the pink hue in contrast of the creamy whiteness of this condiment. Onion raita can be served as sauce, dip or salad. You can easily prepare this condiment and store in your refrigerator inside an airtight container.
- 1 medium size onion
- 1 cup of yogurt
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. of cilantro, finely chopped
- Roast the onion over a medium-low flame, directly exposing it to the flame. Make sure that it is medium-low flame in order to avoid to burning the onion. The slow roasting will help to cook the onion’s inside and not only burn the exterior.
- Continuously turn the onion and just let the onion juice come out as you roast. Keep on roasting until the skin gets dark on all sides.
- Remove the onion from the stove flame and set aside to cool.
- Prepare your raita by taking the stirred yogurt in a medium size bowl. Add the chopped chillies and cilantro leaves. Dash with salt and mix thoroughly.
- When the onion is cool enough for the touch, remove the outer skin that has burns.
- Roughly chop the onion and add into the yogurt mixture.
- Mix them well together and refrigerate for some time.
Time and Serving
- Preparation : 5 minutes
- Cooking : 15 minutes
- Serving : 2 servings