Vada Pav or Batata Vada Pav is a popular and staple Mumbai street food which is made from deep-fried potato dumplings that are flavored with aromatic spices. The dumplings can be either deep-fried, pan-cooked or appe pan-cooked, depending on the availability of your cooking utensils.
As a whole, Vada Pav is very easy to prepare, provided that you follow these easy and simple steps.
For Batata Vadas
- 3 pcs. Large Boiled Potatoes
- 1 tsp. Mustard Seeds
- 1 ½ tsp. Amchur or Mango Powder
- ¼ tsp. Haldi or Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp. Cumin Seeds, roasted
- ¼ – ½ tsp. Degi Mirch or Red Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp. Cilantro leaves, chopped
- 10-12 pcs. Curry Leaves
- ½ tbsp. Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ cups Besan or Chickpea or Gram Flour
- ½ – ¾ cup Soda water
- 1 tsp. Degi Mirch or Red Chili Powder
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil (for Frying)
- 15 – 20 pcs. Homemade Pav
- 1 cup Green Chutney
- 1 cup Tamarind Chutney
- 1 pc. Small Onion, sliced
- Prepare the Batata Vadas first by boiling, peeling and mashing the potatoes before transferring it to a large bowl. Add the cilantro leaves and add the remaining spices one at a time. Mix everything and shape up the potato mixture into medium-sized balls.
- Prepare the batter by mixing all the ingredients before pouring in the soda water. Whisk the mixture until the batter becomes smooth and lump-free.
- Dip the Batata Vadas in batter and cook it either by frying, pan-cooked or appe pan-cooked as you desire.
- Assemble the Vada or Batata Vada Pav by slicing the pav in half. Apply green chutney at the base half and drizzle it with tamarind chutney. Put some onion slices and Batata Vadas before putting on the pav’s top half. Your Batata Vada Pav is ready to serve.