Langarwali Dal is a delicious Punjabi recipe which is usually cooked in low flame in order to achieve its flavor and delicious taste that every one of us loves. This is actually a combination of two different lentils, Chana Dal and Black Gram Dal, to be more specific. However, aside from cooking it in low flame, we can use a slow cooker instead as a part of this recipe.
- 1 ¼ cups Chana Dal
- 1 cup Black Gram Dal
- 5 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. Haldi or Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp. Ginger, chopped
- 2 tbsps. Cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 pc. Medium Onion, chopped
- 1 pc. Medium Tomato, chopped
- 2 pcs. Small Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp. Jeera or Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 2 tsps. Sukha Dhaniya
- 1 tsp. Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tbsp. Ghee
- Wash and clean dal in cold water then drain it. After that, put inside a slow cooker then add water and spices. Cover and cook for at least eight hours until everything is well-blended then add some garam masala powder.
- Sauté cumin seeds, garlic and onion in an oil-heated pan. When onions become translucent in appearance, mix in chopped tomatoes along with the rest of the spices. Cook until the tomatoes become soft and oil starts to separate from the entire tadka.
- Pour tadka over cooked dal, mix well and garnish with chopped cilantro leaves. Serve it hot along with some Tandoori Roti.