This pickled onion dish is made by dipping the onions in a vinegar-water solution and beets are later added in order for them to have that rich red color. This one is enjoyed best along with any kind of curry dish.
You can also make this one at home the easy way. If there are no pearl onions available, you can also use regular onions. However, just make sure that you cut it into rings before you dip them. This make the dipping time needed for the onions to get lessened.
- 30 – 40 pcs. Pearls or Regular Onions
- 1 cup Vinegar
- ¾ – 1 cup Water
- 1 pc. Big Beet, washed, peeled and sliced
- 3 tsps. Sugar
- 2 drops Red Food Coloring
- Prepare the beet first by washing it in water then peeling and slicing it. Prepare the onions next by peeling it also then washing it in water. Make a cross-shaped cut into onions by means of a small knife.
- In a separate bowl, prepare solution by mixing beets and vinegar in water. You can also add some food coloring in the mixture if you want the solution to have a deeper red color.
- Dip the onions in the water-vinegar solution for 30 – 40 minutes if you’re using onion rings. If you’re using pearl onions, dip it in the solution for 2 – 3 hours.
- Remove the onions from the solution then serve. Discard the solution after its use.