To those who didn’t know, Ragda Patties are popular Mumbai street food where potato-rice cutlets are served along with beans, onions and some chutney. Even though this is usually being regarded as a street food, you can still cook it inside your home, up to your heart’s content.
For Potato Cutlets
- 3 -4 pcs. Big Potatoes, boiled
- 2/3 cup Poha or flattened rice
- ½ tsp. Degi Mirch (Red Chili Powder)
- 1 – 2 tsp. Oil for potato dough
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups Matar or White peas
- 1 ½ tsp. Black salt
- 2 tsp. Cumin Seeds, roasted
- ½ tsp. Amchur or Mango powder
- 2 tsp. Sukha Dhaniya or Coriander powder
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- ¼ tsp. Red Chili Powder
- Salt to taste
For Assembling Ragda Patties
- 2 pcs. Medium Onions, chopped
- 2 pcs. Medium Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup Tamarind Chutney
- 1 cup Green Chutney
- 2 pcs. Medium Green Chili, chopped
- 1 tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 2 tsp. Chaat Masala
- 2 tbsp. Gram Flour sev
- Prepare the potato cutlets first by soaking the poha or flattened rice in cold water for 2 to 3 minutes. After that, drain the water from poha and mash it by using your own hands.
- Next, mash the boiled potatoes inside a large bowl, add some salt and red chili powder before mixing it well. Add the poha and mix it until everything is blended and the whole mixture turns into a ball of dough. Right after that, start making potato patties from it.
- Cook the patties inside an oil-greased pan and fry until the patties turn golden-brown.
- Next, boil the matar until the skin separates from the grain before setting it aside. Cook the boiled matar in an oil-greased pan and add the spices one at a time before adding some water to make some gravy.
- Assemble everything by putting some boiled matar first in a small bowl. Sprinkle some chopped onions and tomatoes before you put some green and tamarind chutney in it. Add one or two potato patties (depends on you) on top before topping it with more chutneys and sprinkling it with some sev and chaat masala.
- Once done, you can serve it hot to your family members and enjoy the dish along with some homemade pavs.