Thai fresh rolls are commonly known as “fresh spring rolls.” This dish is simply marvellous as it is a perfect conglomeration of greens and herbs that are both healthy, bringing a burst of life for your body as ‘spring’ does after winter. Fresh spring rolls can be taken as breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack.
For the rolls:
- 1 large size package of rice rolls or rice paper
- 1/3 package of thin rice noodles
- 15-18 medium size shrimps
- 1 fresh lettuce head
- 1/3 cup of peanuts or cashews, dry roasted and chopped
- 1 fresh lime
- ¼ cup of fresh basil
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. sweet chilli sauce
- Rinse the lettuce using cold water and put aside.
- Prepare dipping sauce by blending the sauce ingredients together.
- Remove the soft shells of the shrimp and dip them in a pot of boiling water for about 3 minutes. Wait until the shrimps are pink and plump. Drain the water immediately and put the shrimps into a bowl.
- Next, fill a large pot with water, set over high heat and bring into boil. Put the rice noodles and stir. Cook until the noodles are al dente which would take only for a few minutes. Remove noodles from the hot water by draining. Put into cold water to stop the cooking process. Put the noodles into a mixing bowl and proceed into the step.
- Squeeze half of the lime into a cup for its juice. Incorporate the sugar and fish sauce into the lime juice and stir. This will be the dressing for the shrimp, so drizzle this mixture onto the shrimp and toss. Drizzle the remaining onto the noodles and toss as well.
- Assemble the rolls by putting hot water into a large mixing bowl. Now, dip a rice wrapper into the water and wait for about half minute (or up to one whole minute). Remove the wrapper and put it onto a smooth, clean surface. Place a lettuce leaf on one side of the wrapper and set a few basil leaves on the lettuce. Make a strip line of rice noodles on the top of the leaves. Arrange a few shrimps over the noodles and sprinkle with chopped nuts. Fold the top and bottom part of the rice paper and roll up the sides. Seal the roll by tapping a little water at the end of the roll.
- Serve the rolls with the sauce dip you had prepared.
Time and Serving
- Preparation : 25 minutes
- Serving : 4