Almost every one of us loves to eats burgers. However, due to the fact that burgers are known to have excessive amounts of fats and calories, this is an issue when it comes to vegetarians and vegans alike. If you know how burgers are made and cooked in a fast food restaurant, you’ll definitely think twice about eating it.
Even if you’re a vegetarian, you can still eat burgers the vegetarian way. These burgers are usually made of gluten or veggie meat. However, what we are going to do now is a spicy version that is made of black beans instead of the usual gluten ingredient. This is healthier compared to the gluten version so it’s definitely a must-try for vegetarians.
- 1 can or 14 oz. Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Brown Rice, cooked
- 2 tbsp. Red Onion, chopped
- 2 pcs. Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 can Chipotle Chili in Adobo Sauce, chopped
- 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp. Salt to taste
- Olive or Canola Oil for cooking
- Cook the brown rice first according to its own cooking instructions. After that, measure one cup and set it aside.
- Prepare the burger base by mixing the cooked brown rice and black beans together in a large mixing bowl. Use a fork to mash the beans but make sure to leave it somewhat chunky for that desired meaty bite.
- Chop the garlic cloves, chipotle chili and red onion. Be informed, though, that the chipotle chili is very spicy so, if you want to serve it to your kids, just chop one and leave the rest for use in other recipes. However, if you’re serving this one for teenagers and adults, you can put more spice in your burger by adding more chipotle chili and some Jalapenos.
- Mix the spices in brown rice-black bean mixture along with ground cumin and some salt. Mix it well until everything is well-blended.
- By using your own two hands, get some of the burger mixture and form it into patties. Put the formed patties in a plate so that you can fry it later.
- Cook the burgers in an oil-heated pan and fry it for at least two to three minutes, until the burgers become crunchy and golden-brown on both sides.
- Serve the burgers as usual filling for your bread topped with some avocado, tomatoes, onions and some guacamole.